It’s one of the worst feelings in the world. Your mind is blank, the sheet of paper on your desk is blank and you call out to the Lord, “What do I preach next?” If you’re like me you have a sermon idea file that you have collected over the years. Please allow me to add over 365 ideas to your file in just one post.
When we first came to Towne Centre Church my first series was 4 weeks in Acts 2:42 with the title, “How To Have A Strong Church”.
Our District has brought in Ed Stezter from LifeWay to share with us their research on Spiritual Transformation. Here are the 8 elements they have seen as essential:
- Bible Engagement
- Obeying God and Denying Self
- Serving God and Others
- Sharing Christ
- Exercising Faith
- Seeking God
- Building relationships
- Unashamed (Transparency)
What a great idea for starting off the Fall or the New Year. This could be a 8-week series or each item could be a series on its own.
You can’t go wrong teaching on the Holy Spirit
- The Fruit of the Spirit
- The Gifts of the Spirit
How about preaching the 4 Square Gospel? (Aimee Semple McPherson and Jack Hayford would be happy)
One of my Seminary Profs said that in each church you serve the following 3 series should be preached.
2) The 10 Commandments
3) The Lord’s Prayer
- Questions Jesus Asked
- Give credit and have a series called “Sermons I Wish I Preached”
- The Prodigal Story – Father , Son, Elder Brother
- The Bad Characters of Bible Characters
- 7 Deadly Sins
- 5 Verses People Think Are In The Bible But Are Not There
- Preach a sermon in “First Person” I done a few including: Gideon, the Centurion at the Cross and a Shepherd from Luke 2
- 3 Part series on Evangelism – From the point of view of Matthew, Mark and Luke (I did this last year)
- Over the years we have had “Preachers from the Pew” where we have asked congregation members to share the Word.
- While I have never done a series like this myself, “God At The Movies” seems to be a popular Summer Sermon Series
- The return of Jesus – whatever your theological bent (anything but pre-trib and you’re wrong)
Sign up here at Rookie Preacher and receive 56 sermon ideas, everything from “Jesus, Uncut & Unedited” to “God’s Great Stories” and Old Testament survey. Well worth it for sure.
Of course if you are an expository preacher the question is never “What series?” but “What book?”
Any other ideas to add to the list, please let me know.